INITIAL (FIRST-TIME) CANDIDATES MUST:
- Have a current RN License.
- Hold a bachelor’s (or higher) degree - all Baccalaureate degrees applicable
- Have completed ONE of the following pathways of education or practice:
- TRADITIONAL PATHWAY
- Graduate from an accredited WOC Nursing Education Program. For the most current list of programs, visit the WOCN Society website: http://www.wocn.org/?page=accredited_programs
- The WOC(ET) Nursing Education Program must have been completed within the past 5 years (from date of exam application), or otherwise you must prove eligibility via the Experiential Pathway.
- The WOC/ET Nursing Education Program must be accredited by the WOCN® Society at the time of graduation.
- EXPERIENTIAL PATHWAY
- The accumulation of direct patient clinical hours and continuing education credits (contact hours) must be earned post bachelor’s degree while practicing as an RN.
- For each specialty for which certification is sought, 50 CE/CME credits (contact hours) or an equivalent in college course work must be completed over the five years previous to the date of application. All CE/CME credits (contact hours) or college course work must directly apply to the specialty area for which applied. Multi-day conferences may include professional practice topics or may be focused on a specific type of treatment i.e. hyperbaric oxygen (HBO). Professional practice topics do not relate directly to any clinical focus and are not accepted. HBO education programs receive partial credit but are usually not accepted in their entirety.
- For each certification specialty, 1500 direct patient clinical hours must be completed within the previous five years. Further, 375 hours must have occurred within the year prior to application.
- TRADITIONAL PATHWAY
- Submit exam application with applicable fee and support materials which include:
- RN license verification (may come from state board of nursing website.)
- Copy of Bachelor’s Degree (diploma or transcripts).
- Copy of WOC Education completion (Graduation document) – for “traditional pathway”
- Copies of each CE certificate, uploaded to the online application – for “experiential pathway”
- Fill out section #8 (Experience) in the online application – for “experiential pathway”. You will list the total figure of clinical hours specific to the specialty.
- Fill out section #9 (“Employer”) in the online application – for “experiential pathway”. You will list the current/past clinical supervisor(s) name/contact information so they may be contacted directly for verification of experience hours specific to the clinical focus. A letter of verification is not required since WOCNCB may contact your supervisor, although it may be uploaded to the application if you prefer. Verification is for total clinical hours specific to the specialty from the past 5 years.
- Click Here to access “application checklist”
RETAKE CANDIDATES MUST:
- Be currently licensed as a Registered Nurse.
- A copy of current RN license must accompany a completed application, if it has expired since your last exam.
- T here is a 30-day waiting period before retesting after an unsuccessful exam.
- Submit exam application with applicable fee.
- Successfully complete exams.
Download Candidate Examination Handbook
The Candidate Handbook is a 46 page document.